rpm static link [was Re: ESR: Goodbye Fedora]

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Feb 22 04:04:08 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007, Matthew Miller wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:48:22PM -0800, Michael A Peters wrote:
>> I do think rpm should be statically linked.
>
>At the time, there was a solid technical reason for not doing it. (NPTL
>transition growing pains.) At this point, it might be worth revisiting.
>However, it doesn't necessarily gain you much -- if your system is that
>screwed up, booting the install CD in rescue mode is usually a better
>choice.

Staticly linking rpm is 150% up to the distro that uses it, Matthew.  For
some reason RH has never seen fit to do so since about 5.1.  I've had an
unrelated (I thought) update hose rpm 3 times now, and that's 3 times too
many IMNSHO.

This seems to be a similar situation that existed when I was trying to
dual boot an FC4 install and a kubuntu-5.0x.  I could cross mount the
others filesystems maybe 5% of the time, and the rest of the time I had
to unmount them and do an e2fsck on them before they would mount cleanly.
Each was then using e2fsck-1.35, but the executables them selves were
nothing alike, and neither were the filesystems under them.  I trashed
the kubuntu filesystems so many times I gave up on the dual boot and
pulled the 2nd drive.  Then I had to put that drive in a different box
and dd /dev/zero to the whole 60GB drive before I could reinstall
kubuntu-6.06 lts on it, and it hasn't sneezed since.  Its sitting out in
the shop, ready to cut parts with emc2 on a 1 minute notice right now.
Heck, if I had a tv camera so I could watch it, I could run it from here
once the raw material is clamped to the table.  But that would be a wee
bit geeky now don't you think?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)