Installing synce from tarballs: where to install?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Feb 22 19:52:47 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 22/02/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> > I intend to install Synce on FC6 to sync my Dell Axim x50v with
>> > Kontact. I'm installing via tarballs as the rpms are two years out of
>> > date. To where should I install the tarballs? Opt? Etc? Anywhere else?
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> I normally use the /usr/local tree.
>>

> /usr/local already has stuff in it, and I'd like to keep the
> tarball-installed stuff separate from the yum-installed stuff.
> Actually, I was thinking about using /opt. My main concern is
> dependancies: if a yum installed package needs package foo-1.0 and I
> install a tarball that wants foo-0.9 then I want to be able to install
> foo-0.9 in /opt with the tarballed stuff.
>
> Dotan Cohen

The /usr/local tree normally comes with a bunch of directories
created, but empty. If you have files in these directories, you may
want to run "rpm -qf <file name>" to see if they are from an RPM.
Chances are, they are from non-RPM installs.

You will also find that most packages will default to installing in
the /usr/local tree. /usr/local/bin is usualy included in users
path, and both /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin are in root's
path. I don't remember if /usr/local/lib is in ld.so's search path,
so you may need to add it. Any libraries you install in the /opt
tree will have to be added. (/etc/ld.so.conf.d)

Mikkel