ESR: Goodbye Fedora

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Feb 23 01:39:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Alan wrote:

>> Yes, but again the US cant enforce its laws against other countries.
>> it is not the world govt/world police, and about time they woke up smelt
>> the damned coffee and realised that.
>
> The US thinks differently. Its accused for example of simply removing
> people from other countries to interrogate or torture. The Microsoft v
> ATT case if you bother to read it is relevant because Red Hat is based in
> the USA (as are many of the contributors).

Well, there are other distros around, like I said,  people are ignorant,
they dont care, they just want to play it, if something doesnt do it out
the box, they go elsewhere.

And if I get a rainy weekend maybe I'll have a read of the AT&T case, one
month.

> If you move it and it is doing things not legal in the US then US people
> can't contribute.

Then the US is forcing it to become an outsider by its lack of common
sense. But we all know RH wont move offshore, so RH has enshrined a
setback policy, deterring new linux converts.

Things like this dont really worry me too much, because I often remove a
lot of the packages (incl kernel) and install from source. But its a
shame things are going down this road, a few years ago nobody dare
mention, say debian in this country, now, its more prevailant then Fedora,
and you wonder why.

If I want my OS distributor to tell me how I'm going to use the programs
I'll dump all my linux (and solaris) boxes and run winblows.

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie