Disable Desktop Effects from terminal

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 23 02:21:47 UTC 2007

Hi,
I run my FC6 on a headless computer and connect to it via vnc. After
upgrading it's ram and connecting to it, something changed and the
windows had no bars to move them around. I realized that Desktop
Effects were enable and I couldn't disable it.
I tried gconftool-2 -s '/apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager' --
type bool false and it didn't work. I had to get a monitor and a
keyboard to do it in front of the computer with its mouse.
For the next time this happens to me, what else can I do to prevent
having to get a monitor?
Thanks,
EJ