HP Pavilion / ATI 200M Random Crashes - was: [Suspend bug]

oleksandr korneta atenrok at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:38:28 UTC 2007

on 02/21/2007 09:58 PM David G. Miller wrote:
> oleksandr korneta <atenrok at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> alright, I decided to go wired, and see what happens. So it has been
>> almost two weeks since I turned my wireless card off and deactivated the
>> wlan0 device and guess what - no crashes since then. So I claim that the
>> combination of ndiswrapper + x86_64 windows wifi drivers make my laptop
>> to crash 1-2 times per day.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
> I signed up for and started a thread on the ndiswrapper mailing list...
> which died after a very few exchanges.  I am seeing *EXACTLY* the same
> behavior on my HP Pavilion laptop with the ATI 200M chipset running FC6
> x86_64.  The following is with a wired connection:
>
> [root at fubar ~]# uptime
>  19:43:11 up 6 days, 11:59,  5 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.15, 0.07
> [root at fubar ~]# uname -a
> Linux fubar.local.davenjudy.org 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Feb 10
> 15:16:31 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I think my last reboot was just to pick up the 2911 kernel.
>
> If I bring up the wireless connection, the system kernel panics in no
> more than 24 hours.  This seems to be independent of whether there is
> traffic on the connection and whether the authentication is WEP or WPA.
> The only advice I got from the ndiswrapper list was to make sure the
> kernel isn't compiled with 4K stacks which doesn't even appear to be an
> option for the x86_64 FC kernel.  That is, the x86_64 kernel DOES NOT
> use 4K stacks.
>
> I'm going to try the bcm43xx driver again to see if it now works with my
> AP.  When I was running WEP on the AP, the AP wouldn't authenticate back
> to my laptop before bcm43xx timed out (funny thing was the next message
> after the timeout was a message saying that an authentication had been
> received but none were outstanding).  I switched the AP to WPA radius so
> maybe it will authenticate to my laptop before bcm43xx times out.
> That's about three or four projects down my "to do" queue.

I am not using any security with my AP so neither WEP nor WPA can not be
an issue here. I used to try bcm43xx just right after I freshly
installed FC6. Initially it worked much better that ndiswrapper used to
on  FC4, but after reboot everything has changed. There was a lot of
junk in the logs, unstable connection, refuse to connect waking up from
the standby mode etc... So after fighting for couple weeks I gave up on
it for a while. However at least with that driver I never had a kernel
panic.

> If bcm43xx doesn't work for you, you might try getting on the
> ndiswrapper mailing list (very low traffic compared to fedora-list) and
> posting your complaint.  Maybe, if enough people independently document
> the problem, one of the ndiswrapper folks might decide it really is a
> problem.

I'll try. I am going to refer to your thread if you don't mind :)
Now I don't feel that lonely with my trouble...

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./