Athlon 64 X2

Kwan Lowe kwan at digitalhermit.com
Sat Feb 24 06:36:46 UTC 2007

Just finished building out my new Athlon 64 X2 machine and wanted to share my results:

Hardware
Motherboard was an Asus M2R32-MVP. I had many issues with stability until I updated
the BIOS. Since then it's been stable as a rock. This board comes with an SB600 hard
drive controller, VIA Firewire, Marvell Gig NIC.

For the hard drive controller I first tried with the following kernel params:

  all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

This allowed FC6_X64 to see the drives in LegacyIDE mode.  I added a second hard
drive and configured a RAID1 set using the Asus tools. FC6 could no longer see the
drive (now part of a RAID set) until I used:

  pci=nomsi

Then everything worked beautifully.

Software
No real issues. I installed the xen kernel. The virtual machine console is
beautiful. The only glitch I had was trying to get a 32bit FC6 install to work as a
para-virt. I ended up having to use the FC6_64 which so far has not complained. Oh,
and the mouse pointer is doubled up inside the graphical console. It seems to track
differently than the host. It works but is clumsy.

fedora-ds didn't seem to be available..

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan at digitalhermit.com