A dream of a Red hat linux for desktop PC ?

Wong Kwok-hon kwokhon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 14:03:50 UTC 2007

> > I think application in Fedora Core is freezing in some place for
> > example Firefox, openoffice and desktop environment gnome,KDE version.
> > There are not depended on kernel version and when some version
> > released. They just stopped in testing period and no update present.
>
> Your English is usually good, but it's a bit confusing here. "Freezing"
> usually means that the program stops responding to keypresses or mouse
> clicks. You seem to be complaining that they aren't updated the minute
> there is a new version.

Yes, I am happy u got my meaning....

> This is basically because Fedora *does* have engineers, a QA team, and
> testers who look after these programs and ensure that they're correctly
> integrated into the operating system. This takes time.
>
> It also isn't necessarily a good idea to have major updates of system
> components during the life of a distribution -- if the new versions come
> with a new version of Fedora, then users and administrators can plan
> when they want to upgrade and check that they are comfortable with the
> new versions.
>
> In any case, Fedora releases do come fairly soon after new Gnome
> versions. New KDE minor releases are often made available through Fedora
> updates to existing versions of Fedora. Firefox is a special case, where
> the developer believes Firefox 2.0 gives no benefits and would mean
> updating a lot of the system.
>
> If you want new versions as they come out, you may want to look at
> running Fedora Development ("rawhide"). Be aware that sometimes the new
> versions are buggy, and there is a chance that your computer may not
> always be bootable or you may lose data -- and that's why Fedora Core is
> the way it is; it shields you from possibly-buggy new programs.

Firefox 2.0 just fine and I am using it for 2 weeks. I haven't tried
it in rawhide.
I just using the version which provided in mozilla.org

> > Fedora Legacy is a good idea so far but it is not shut down... Who
> > knows it re-open or not.
>
> It looks very unlikely -- it promised security upgrades, and wasn't
> providing them. It became apparent that it needed the equivalent of
> several full-time engineers to monitor security issues and apply
> suitable patches. No-one is prepared to pay these engineers, and the
> volunteers weren't coming forward.

That would affect more people to use linux because of version grow to fast.

> > I remember that when I use Fedora Core 2 it has a bug in installation
> > and Fedora Core 3 also has a bug in hardware recognize. Now kernel 586
> > was installed when some user used Pentium 2 higher CPU.
> >
> > Although kernel maintainer is a good and kindly people and did a great
> > contribution. but I think there can be more better and not cause user
> > need to re-install in every version.
>
> Bugs happen. This wasn't Dave Jones' fault, though -- it was an
> installer bug. I don't see what your point is.

I meant every version have a bug when it release as I said. I didn't
said it is Dave's fault.
If u said that it has a QA team, why would it happened ??

> > And I felt Fedora Core become kernel minded. No one knows what will
> > have a new version of applications for normal(for desktop word
> > processor,internet use) user.
>
> I don't quite follow this. Fedora development is open. When there's a
> new version of OpenOffice out, it will certainly get into the next
> version of Fedora (if it is really stable in time), and may get into
> existing releases -- but this usually isn't decided until it can be seen
> whether this can be done safely. Kernel development is the same --
> there's a new set of drivers for IDE adapters, which can't safely be
> delivered as an update to FC6, but will be provided for Fedora 7 (where
> people know there's a chance that they'll have to make a few changes to
> make their install fit their preferences).

That's the strange thing because openoffice is not OS base and Fedora
Core seem mixed with that concept.
And No information provide how to upgrade to new openoffice.

> > You also said that it is related to fund...But I think Debian also has
> > a same problem but why they did a great job ? What's difference ?
>
> No difference. Debian doesn't do everything that people think it should
> do, either, or as fast as some people would like. (For example, if
> Debian had extra resources, it might speed up the process of making
> stable releases).
>
> Red Hat won't fund some things -- other people do. Fedora Extras is one
> case in point. Livna and ATrpms are another -- if they wanted, they
> could easily provide a whole "Livna Linux" based on Fedora. The reason
> they remain an add-on repository is basically (a) it's easier for them,
> and (b) no-one's funding the extra repositories.

I think the answer is (a). Money is also a important thing... :)

> > And I think Red Hat 9 as a last and stable product. Community should
> > or can provide more support it because it can provide to normal user.
> > We should upgrade there libraries or application.
>
> I'm getting confused here -- you want old Fedora or Red Hat releases,
> with new software. That *is* a contradiction in terms.

No, I meant the applications can also upgrade and stay in old version
of OS not just upgrade all thing to new Fedora because it need user to
backing up the data, re-install the OS, re-config interfaces...etc.