Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Feb 25 18:07:55 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:

> It was a bit of a clunker, but it worked just fine. All the CP/M
> machines I had had 64k of memory, and I had darn near one of each. Ric

I had an 8085 based one that could only use 60k because of where 2K
of ROM was mapped in. It was not designed to let you map out the ROM
after booting. I still have a Z-80 system with 64k of dynamic RAM,
and 256K of static RAM - the static RAM has battery backup. The
system uses extended addressing, and the disk controller uses the
static RAM as a RAM disk. (DMA support as well.) You would be
surprised st how much faster the system boots/runs when you use the
RAM disk as the system drive. It also help to have the WS overlay
files on it.

Mikkel