How much swap?

Philippe A. futhark77 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 22:50:57 UTC 2007

2007/2/25, Uno Engborg <uno at webworks.se>:

> I am wondering how much swap space I need in modern Linux such as FC6.

I have been thinking about that myself lately. I came up with the following
reasoning: you need as much swap as necessary to fill the gap between your
physical ram and the amount of memory needed for your most memory intensive
task. So let's say you need 10GB of ram to crunch huge datasets. Since you
have 8GB of physical RAM, you'd need a minimum of 2GB of swap. Swap is very
slow. It obviously should not be considered as 'cheap ram'.