XDMCP problems after xorg(?) updates

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 23:02:12 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, logging in crashes the remote X
> server with (paraphrasing) "EE: unable to load module 'mga_hal" module
> does not exist".

This one was a lack of RAM - the mga_hal error was a red herring.

> Thinking that I'd borked something hardware-wise, I unshelved one of
> the other terminal machines.  It also booted to the remote GDM login
> screen - but logging in crashes the X server also.  Nothing is amiss
> in the xorg.log.  This one is logged in /var/log/messages on the
> "head" machine: "gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error -
> Restarting ws200:0"

This one is still a mystery, but I'll take it to the LTSP list.  I
winder if xorg requires more RAM these days?

> I'm going to try a 3rd terminal box, but was wondering if anyone on
> the list is using thin terminals, and if so are you having problems
> after the recent updates...

The third box also failed, but with an error about the RIVA 128 not
being able to handle 16-bit depth (WTF?  Also an item for the LTSP
list)

4th and 5th boxes came up just fine - that's when I stopped freaking out ;)

Thanks anyway,
Chris