Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 08:43:29 UTC 2007

On 25/02/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > It was a bit of a clunker, but it worked just fine. All the CP/M
> > machines I had had 64k of memory, and I had darn near one of each. Ric
> >
> I had an 8085 based one that could only use 60k because of where 2K
> of ROM was mapped in. It was not designed to let you map out the ROM
> after booting. I still have a Z-80 system with 64k of dynamic RAM,
> and 256K of static RAM - the static RAM has battery backup. The
> system uses extended addressing, and the disk controller uses the
> static RAM as a RAM disk. (DMA support as well.) You would be
> surprised st how much faster the system boots/runs when you use the
> RAM disk as the system drive. It also help to have the WS overlay
> files on it.
>
> Mikkel

Why can't Fedora do this? I've got 2Gb of physical RAM on this box. I
know that slax can be booted into a little as 256MB of RAM to free up
the optical drive, so I'm sure that Fedora can fit in my 2GB.

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/short_answer/what_is_hdtv.html
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/webpage.html