Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 13:39:25 UTC 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>> > In an ideal world the install medium would not be a factor in
>> > selecting a Linux distro, I agree. However, it does have veto power
>> > and when I've got a hour to download, my chances of getting Kubuntu
>> > intact at the end of that hour are much better than getting Fedora.
>> > Furthermore, I have to burn those disks, and I can do one disk in five
>> > minutes with no babysitting, but burning five disks require that I
>> > babysit the machine for half an hour. Not a good impression to make on
>> > someone who I'm installing thier first Linux distro for.
>>
>> You only have to burn them if it is your first Linux install.
>
> For converts (those who [k]ubuntu is aimed at, remember this started
> because someone mentioned ubuntu) it WILL be their first install.

If you are helping them, having the isos downloaded to a laptop which
you can connect via a crossover cable would be the easy approach.

>> > Shall I continue with the amount of problems that a 5 disk
>> > installation makes? Thats 5 disks to check before an install. That's
>> > five times the chance that a disk will get scratching in handling.
>>
>> Download the iso images to an NFS-exported directory.  Burn the first
>> disk.  Boot it with "linux askmethod" at the boot prompt.  Pick nfs
>> image as the install method.  Fill in the info for the host and path
>> to the nfs directory where  you downloaded the images.  When the
>> install starts, go away and come back when it is finished.  No disk
>> swapping or babysitting needed.
>>

> And how am I to do that on a machine with one big NTFS partion that
> will be nuked as soon as I start the install? Remember, we're talking
> about installing over Windows machines in this thread, not reinstalls
> or upgrades.

You can also install from a hard disk partition, so you could use one of
the run-from-CD versions to make a partition to hold the isos, download
them, then install directly from there.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com