FC6 + source for Nvu build help

linuxmaillists at charter.net linuxmaillists at charter.net
Mon Feb 26 18:21:02 UTC 2007

This is my first time attempting to build from source.
Below are the instructions for building Nvu from source.  I
am doing this as root.

Building Nvu From Source
Nvu 1.0

If you want to build Nvu from the source, please following
these directions.

   1. First read and follow the build instructions for your
platform. If you want to build on Windows, make sure to
download bzip2 with Cygwin.

Did, don't think there was a problem

   2. Get the sources and save them on your disk

Did no problem

   3. Uncompress-untar the sources

      tar xfj nvu-1.0-sources.tar.bz2

Did no problem

      This creates a directory called mozilla
   4. Go into the directory mozilla/composer/config , grab
your preferred mozconfig.* file and copy it to
mozilla/.mozconfig (dot mozconfig in the top mozilla
directory). Edit that file according to your wishes and
system configuration. Warning: the mozilla/composer/config
also contains a compressed patch against the Firefox 1.0
source tree: you don't have to apply that patch to the
source tarball linked above, it's already in.

Did no problem

   5. Build the code.

      make -f client.mk build_all

Did and got an error after about a minute of activity.  Here
are the last several lines:

nsStackFrameUnix.cpp: In function ‘void
DumpStackToFile(FILE*)’:
nsStackFrameUnix.cpp:96: error: ‘JB_BP’ was not declared in
this scope
gmake[4]: *** [nsStackFrameUnix.o] Error 1
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/home/user/mozilla/xpcom/base'
gmake[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/home/user/mozilla/xpcom'
gmake[2]: *** [tier_2] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/user/mozilla'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/user/mozilla'
make: *** [build] Error 2

I replaced above the real user name with user

How can I find out what went wrong?  What did I miss?

   6. After the build, there is in the mozilla/dist/bin
(Linux) or mozilla\dist\bin (Windows) directory a file
called nvu or nvu.exe. Just run it to start Nvu.  On Mac,
just double-click on mozilla/dist/Nvu.app. Don't forget to
look at the Tips and Hints section at the bottom of this
page.