[Fedora] Re: Dell says all aboard for Linux PCs

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Mon Feb 26 19:38:09 UTC 2007

Quoting "Ashley M. Kirchner" <ashley at pcraft.com>:

> jack wallen wrote:
> > from what i understand, the same machine loaded with linux will cost
> > approximately $53.00 USD more than the same machine with Vista. i can't
> > quite figure that one out. anyone care to explain?
> >
>     It's their way of pushing Vista.  That'd be my guess.

Probably Microsoft is subsidizing new installations of Vista. Also, it costs
Dell money to get their installers "certified" and build new Ghost (or
whatever) images of the linux O/S. Sure they have to do that with Vista, but
since most of their installs are Vista, it's a matter of a few pennies per
machine, not a few dollars per machine. Simply a matter of scale.