Dell says all aboard for Linux PCs

Dan Hensley dan at dshensley.com
Mon Feb 26 19:42:14 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:56 -0500, jack wallen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:02 -0500, taharka wrote:
>
> > I'm sure you'll waste some, just as you would if you overlaid Fedora on
> > a box that came with Windows preinstalled. How much, who knows? Maybe
> > wait to see if/when Fedora/Ubuntu climb aboard, then compare prices? The
> > article states, they're the next distributions for consideration.
> >
> from what i understand, the same machine loaded with linux will cost
> approximately $53.00 USD more than the same machine with Vista. i can't
> quite figure that one out. anyone care to explain?

It's probably not near as sinister as others seem to think.

It's probably a simple matter of volume.  They will still sell far more
Vista machines than Linux, and there is a fixed cost to pick the distro,
select what needs to be installed, brand it, provide some customer
support, etc., etc.  Divide that by the number of machines they expect
to sell, and that may be where the additional cost comes from.

Dan