is LVM safe for RAID-1?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Feb 26 20:13:41 UTC 2007

Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I've been setting up software RAID-1 configurations
> since Fedora Core 2 with normal partitions instead of
> using LVM. I was wondering what the consensus was about
> using LVM for software RAID partitions? My inclination
> is that, unless one plans on adding additional drives
> to the LVM partitions later, it really only adds another
> layer of code that can break. Thanks in advance for
> any comments.
>              Jack

I have been doing it on FC4.  Even when I had a drive failure (not the
drive in the end), it was an easy repair as the RAID dropped the bad
drive and notified me.  Heck, I didn't even know that the drive had
failed.  I did panic but it turned out that it was no big issue.

As media files get more and more demanding, I love LVM.  No moving
around mount points to allow enough storage space for all those media files.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.