[Fedora] Re: RAID suggestions...

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Mon Jan 1 19:11:42 UTC 2007

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Raid 5 is generally good for mostly read situations, though you may want
> to do some bench marking to see if you really need that. More spindles
> are better than fewer spindles. Normally you would use raid 10 in preference
> to raid 0+1, since raid 10 handles failures better. If are capturing video and
> not publishing it, than raid 10 is usually better than raid 5 unless you have
> a fair number of spindles.

    In my case, I will be capturing video, editing, and then authoring
DVDs.  So the streaming during capture and editing is important.  The
authoring of the DVD not so much because it can only stream as fast as
the drive can write.  But everything else needs to be able to keep up.

> In your case you might have a cpu bottleneck
> depending on what processing you are doing of the video.

    I'm not worried about that.  At the moment I'm using a Core 2 Duo
Extreme and will eventually bump that up to a quad core.  The old system
had a Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz and it worked wonderfully.

    -- A