Blocking Spam

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 1 22:33:43 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 20:06 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Well I guess I can accuse you of being hypnotized by the SpamBayes
> > people who also think the unsure folder is a good thing. Well in my
> > opinion it is not. What is good about having an extra folder to check
> > for spam and ham?
>
> "Hypnotized", I think, is unwarranted. They think it's good engineering.
> So do I. You don't.
>
> There's only one of it, there's never much in it, and it means you
> *don't* have to check the other boxes in the same way. You can sort that
> one box in about ten seconds once a day. Because you *know* the e-mail
> is uncertain, you're not too pre-disposed to call it spam, which means
> you're more likely to *accurately* judge it. (It's well-known that
> humans often won't spot one "good" e-mail in a pile of spam).
I don't want to start a religious war. I use spamassasin and it works
well. Are you saying that in addition to the unsure box you don't have
to check th spam box and of course you check the ham box (that's the
mail that was not identified as spam or unsure). If you check the unsure
box only once a day then there will probably be some mail you will not
see promptly. But if it works for you great.

Pray: To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net