donated computers lab setup

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 2 14:22:59 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 16:39 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Several on the website I gave will run on a box like that. A few
>>will run with 12MB of RAM.
>

> I'll bet that those are text-only systems, or a 640x480 VESA X (arguably
> worse than text), which wouldn't be a good demo to any non-Linux user.

No, but to run in that much RAM they must be booted in text-only.
DSL can run with very nice X, but it requires at least 32M for that,
I believe.

My point is that there exist very small footprint Linuxes, and a
little research might turn up something for him. I also supplied
a starting point.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.