Latest FCs and LDAP

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jan 2 21:12:50 UTC 2007

Okay, so what's the deal with the latest openldap versions with FC5 or 6
and hanging on reboots if you have ldap in nsswitch.conf?  I have over a
dozen FC boxes that I use ldap with and I'm getting extremely frustrated
with the last couple of openldap packages I've updated to.  Each and
every one of them hangs on 'Starting System Message Bus....' UNLESS I
remove ldap from nsswitch.conf.

The only known fix is to pull that from nsswitch prior to a reboot, but
this is just silly.  I have a half dozen other distros from Debian to
Gentoo and Suse with these versions and they don't have the problem, so
what gives?  I can't continue to kluge my way through this every time I
reboot these servers.  Fortunately I don't need to reboot very often,
but unfortunately when I do need to, I forget to do this and have to
reboot multiple times.

Any hints on a fix?  Or a timeline to a fix?

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator