[SOT] Fast typing and threading...

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 2 23:36:20 UTC 2007

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> 1.  If one wishes to change the name of a topic it is not sufficient to
>> simply reply to a given topic and change the subject.  The headers in the
>> reply to the original topic will remain intact and will not be broken into a
>> separate thread by some/most (I didn't take a survey) mail readers.
>
> Is this actually desired, though?

Usually it is.  Otherwise, why mess with the subject line at all?
Normally the subject line is altered to say:

"Now talking about this" (Was: Talking about that)

This happens normally not with the OP but when the content of the message
strays from the original question/subject to something entirely different.

> Sometimes it will be -- a correspondent may wish to take one throwaway
> line and effectively start a new topic based on that concept. In such a
> case, a new thread might be the Right Thing.
>
> But usually, a topic will drift over a number of posts. My experience is
> that on most forums the subject will drift and only some time later
> someone will think to change the subject line.

Correct, and since they are changing the subject line they are indicating
the topic has changed it is logical that the a new thread is desired.

> In this case, deliberately breaking the thread is *not* what is wanted,
> since it will separate the drifted topic into two threads -- the

If the new subject is of the one I described above, it is easy to determine
the original thread.  Search on subject.

Sorry if I was not clear.  But I'm talking about situations where the
original topic was "How do I clean an oven" that has stray into "Why a Ford
is better than a Buick".