donated computers lab setup

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 01:33:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 08:26 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Norm wrote:
> > Tim
> > Your project is the type of project more of us in the IT world should
> > do.  Too often people in IT are considered nerds and not part of the
> > real world, if a a group we use our IT skills to help the disadvantaged
> > and at the same time spread the use of Linux we can all feel we have
> > done something to help society.
> > I haven't tried an XT computer in a thin client configuration but I
> > suspect that even those can find a use as thin clients in the right
> > situation.
>
> How can using an XT spread Linux? The kernel requires a 386 at least,
> due to use of priviledge rings.

Mike, I used a pile of XT's and 286's for dumb serial terminals to
telnet through some cast-off Dickens terminal servers to my linux
server. Everyone had command line access, which was about all we had
back in the BBS days anyways. I tried some BBS packages for linux, but
everyone liked just a plain old login. We didn't have much security,
just relied on the honor system and no one ever blew it up. Imagine a
486 DX2-66 with 32 megs of memory responding to 16 terminals and 8 phone
lines. I could still play Quake on it... shaky as heck, but I proved it
could be done under that load. Them was the "Good Ole Days" (TM) when
linux was far simpler.

I used Caldera's OpenDos and Telix on those old machines. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net