Error installing FC6 x86_64

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Wed Jan 3 13:59:25 UTC 2007

Doctor Who wrote:
> On 1/3/07, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
>> Doctor Who kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko 03
>> tammikuu 2007 03:56):
>> > At the install prompt I typed 'linux all-generic-ide' and I
>> > get the same error as before.  Does this make the installer
>> > see the disks as PATA vs. SATA?
>>
>> No, it makes the kernel to detect the unsupported PATA
>> controller. Is the SATA controller set to AHCI mode in BIOS?
>>

> That brings up a question...what *should* it be?  It was set in the
> BIOS to IDE.  As I understand it, to get the most speed/features out
> of these drives, it should be set to AHCI, correct?
>
> Also, I've already done a couple OS installs on these drives, so it
> would appear changing the setting to AHCI will cause me to reinstall
> those OS's.

Hey Professor (as Ace would say)...

I don't know about having to reinstall the other OS's or not however you
do want the controller set to AHCI for FC6.  Also in order to get the
CDrom drive working I had to add the all-generic-ide.  I was unable to
install FC6 when I set my drives to anything other than AHCI.

Jeff