Lost Ctrl+Shift+hex unicode entry - FC6 issue?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Wed Jan 3 17:15:54 UTC 2007

Neil Bird wrote:
> At some point in the recent past, I seem to have lost the ability to
> enter Unicode values in GTK apps. (inc. Thunderbird & gvim) by
> holding <Ctrl+Shift> and entering the hex value.  It seems to act as
> if <Shift>'s not held down (and yes, my Shift keys work).
>
> This may have happened as part of upgrading from FC5 to 6;  anyone
> any idea what to check?

I wish I could find where this is documented, but my google-fu is
failing me at the moment.  But I do know that the input method changed
somewhere around gnome 2.15.  To enter a unicode character, just type
ctrl+shift+u and then the hex value.  (You don't have to keep c-s-u
held while entering the hex value.)

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -- Thomas Paine