pam update and /etc/pam.d/system-auth question

Mail List lists at sapience.com
Thu Jan 4 04:51:16 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 22:21, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Mail List writes:
> >    Stock fc6 install - after an update of pam I now have in /etc/pam.d:
> >
> > 4 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  14 Nov  4 12:32 system-auth -> system-auth-ac
> > 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 844 Nov  4 12:32 system-auth-ac
> > 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 683 Dec 22 16:49 system-auth.rpmnew
> >
> > Should system-auth.rpmnew have replaced system-auth-ac or not?
> > The changelog does not clarify this for me...
>
> The behavior of configuration files is up to the package to define.  Here,
> the updated system-auth file would replace the existing one only if it was

 Yeh I know - but I never changed anything in pam.d.

  Look carefully - you'll see that system_auth is in fact a link - it links to
system_auth_ac.

 The pam update rpm wanted to update system_auth - I assume this is a
packaging bug and it should have updated system_auth-ac instead. You cannot
update a link, so it dropped a .rpmnew.

  But its not clear what the pam update was intended to do - so I asked.

g/