WARNING: Kernel Errors Present

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 4 14:43:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 12:43 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Warnings like this crop up regularly in logwatch:
>
>     Buffer I/O error on device hdc, l ...:  10 Time(s)
>     Buffer I/O error on device hdd, l ...:  20 Time(s)
>     end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector ...:  2 Time(s)
>     end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector ...:  4 Time(s)
>     hdc: command error: error=0x54 { Ab ...:  2 Time(s)
>     hdc: command error: status=0x51 { D ...:  2 Time(s)
>     hdd: command error: error=0x54 { Ab ...:  4 Time(s)
>     hdd: command error: status=0x51 { D ...:  4 Time(s)
>
> They refer to my two DVD drives (and appear whenever the drives have been
> used).  Is there any significance that I should be aware of?

I get that when you put a blank disc in, and they're trying to figure
out what to do with them.  They can't read the disc, so get an error.
Occasionally crappy unreadable discs provoke Nautilus into opening the
disc writing window, thinking I've inserted a blank.

Try inserting a blank and watching the results, then try with some discs
that you're sure are okay.

I read messages from the public lists.