Help with restoring IDE image to SATA drive

FS bastiji at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:34:31 UTC 2007

Folks -- My ignorance of all things Linux might be showing with this
posting, but I can't seem to make this work. I have a Linux FC2
machine with an IDE drive which I'm trying to make an image of, so in
case all hell breaks loose we have something we can restore and be up
and running in no time.

The box I tried to restore has a SATA drive. I've already imaged the
SATA drive with the image, but it says "kernel panic".

Where should I start to look for fixing this problem?!? My google-foo
is proving to be worthless for this problem too! I know it's got
something to do with grub, so I'm posting the grub.conf here too.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Faisal

(Cross posted to redhat-install list)

Here are the last few lines before the kernel panic:

Freeing initrd memory: 160k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Red Hat nash version 3.5.14 starting
Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating block devices
VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or 00:00

Here's my grub.conf:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2199.nptl)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl.img
title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
        initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img