udev and console.perms

Peter Horst phorst at speakeasy.net
Thu Jan 4 18:38:16 UTC 2007

I am trying to set up a headless FC5 system such that I have full use of
/dev/mixer, /dev/cdrom, etc., when I login via SSH. Mikkel Ellertson &
others were kind enough to provide some clues in an earlier series of
emails, which I unfortunately did not save.

I tried changing the 'perm' setting in
/etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms for the <sound> group,
but it had no effect - is it the case that this setting changes only the
permissions that are assigned to a user who is concurrently logged in on
the console? I may have misunderstood.

Any help getting sound up and running on this headless machine as a
regular user would be greatly appreciated.

Peter