Sign cutter

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 23:47:42 UTC 2007

> >> I can find no reference to Summa-anything on
> >> http://www.linuxprinting.org; does
> >> anyone know anything about this sign cutter machine and its Linux
> >> support?  He
> >> said that the machine "speaks" HPGL.

I've not had much luck with any of the CUPS HPGL drivers (various
printers and plotters/cutters and various drivers).  Some of the
printers (Encad mostly) had partial functionality, but none of the
plotters (mostly Roland) worked very reliably at all.

I've had some luck exporting HPGL from the app, or using pstoedit to
convert postscript to HPGL and then just 'cat file.hpgl
/dev/<plotter_device>'.  With a raw queue in CUPS, one can open a HPGL
file in gedit (or notepad for that matter) and "print" it.

I'll have to check out that HPGL distiller - looks interesting!

Chris