Is Fedora a good comparison to Red Hat?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 5 01:35:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 01:25 +0000, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> > Fedora should be similar to Redhat products, but is further ahead,
> > trying out new stuff, so there are some slight differences. I run FC6 on
> > my personal laptop but use a Enterprise Linux based distro at work,
> > namely Scientific Linux (3 and 4). Tjhere are differences.
>
> I've always wanted to try SL but never had the time. I do now, so I
> thought I'd ask someone with hands on experience how is it different than
> FC? What tools does it have that I can't get in FC6? Is it more stable?

Remember that FC is the "experimental hamster" for RHEL.  What is now
FC6 will stabilize and become RHEL5.x.  RHEL4.x is based on FC3, after
all.

FC will always be the "pointy end of the stick" for Red Hat.  That's
sort of our "job" and you have to buy into it, recognize that FC may not
work for you and grin and bear some of the problems that come with being
a pioneer.

If you want a free version of (for all intents) RHEL, go for CentOS.
It's built from RHEL's SRPMs with some tweaks.

I adopted a motto I heard once in regard to using Fedora Core:

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

-      On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say...  oh, somewhere in there.     -