[OT] Sendmail Question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 14:09:32 UTC 2007

Dan Track wrote:

> Many thanks for all your replies. Maybe if I list it in point format
> it will be easier
>
> 1) I am using my desktop for testing this appication
> 2) I've got well over a 1000 emails in there, so I can't see the
> virtusertable as an easy solution
> 3) I want sendmail to drop|delete ALL mails, I just wnat sendmail to
> accept them then immediately drop| delete them without sending them on
> 4) There should be no bouncebacks as sendmail should not have sent any
> mails out in the first place.

If the addresses are all at a few domains, the virtusertable approach
shouldn't be too bad, but if they are aren't you might just
replace /usr/sbin/sendmail with a shell script that ignores
arguments and its input like"

#!/bin/sh
cat >/dev/null
exit 0

And, of course, turn off the normal init script startup.  Note that
this will also lose your normal internal mail from logwatch, etc.
A better approach would be to look at the package you want to
test to see if it has a way to define the mailer and point it at
such a script instead of replacing sendmail.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com