A really good article on software usability

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 5 15:21:19 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> Yes, that's the point.  For a lot of things, software should work
>> like an appliance.  If the thing that needs to be done can be
>> predicted, just do it without offering any choices.
>
> <scream.......>  Where have I seen that idea?  Oh yes, in systems that I won't
> use.

Well, you use lightswitches presumably.  It is a good idea, but only if
the device is understood to do one simple thing you can explain to
someone that never saw it before in a handful of words.  If what it does
is inherently complex, don't try shoehorn it into lightswitch semantics
(ye height-challenged people are you listening).

-Andy