Need wireless laptop cards

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200701 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 21:41:35 UTC 2007

jim tate <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> I was checking for a good wireless card for a laptop on Ebay today and
> discovered this.
> The Orinoco Gold card is  the best working wireless card in Linux,
> drivers are install on all linux distro's.
> Works right out of the box.

Just curious, can any of those cards do wpa2 either via new firmware
or doing the newer protocol in the linux driver?  A card that only
does plaintext (or wep, which is effectively plaintext) isn't going to
be all that useful.  For one, it is going to force you to turn off any
strong protection on your access point, opening you up to attacks from
scammers / spammers that are doing a bit of drive-by mischief.

-wolfgang