I might be ready to give up...

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Jan 6 17:48:45 UTC 2007

First off, please turn off the Highly Toxic to Mail Language (HTML) in
your email. Thank you.

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 11:40:18AM -0500, Hal Levy wrote:

>    Sorry- I am trying again
>

>    I have not used any flavour of linux in more years than I care to even think
>    about.  I decided to give it a go with Fedora Core 6.
>
>    I installed on a older Pentium 2 MMX box. The install went smoothly and I
>    was up an running in a short time.

I think you have at least two separate issues. A lot of updates could
swamp an older machine, and you may have a display issue. Let me
suggest you tackle them separately. I assume you are comfortable with
the command line.

It's possible that the updates will ameliorate the video problem. So
try the kernel and update issues first.

First, reboot without X at all. Use Grub (the boot loader) to append
"init 3" to the kernel command line. Or change /etc/inittab to boot to
run level 3. That defers the X issue while you do updates. Let us know
if you need more details.

After you boot, log in as root at the console.

First, deal with the i686 vs i585 per the instructions at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common. Since you have applied
no updates, you should be able to use the i686 kernel on your
CD/DVD. Mount it, then give rpm the fully qualified path to the i686
kernel on the CD/DVD.

If that is successful, reboot.

Now run "yum update". It will take a while, but you should get output
from time to time. If that stalls on you, try "yum update a*", etc. to
cut the first chunk down to size. Because yum handles dependencies, that
will get quite a few packages for you the first time.

Now for the display issue. Save off your current /etc/X11/xorg.conf,
just in case. Run "system-config-display". With any luck, that will
configure your display correctly.

The acid test is to run "startx".