I might be ready to give up...

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jan 6 23:37:56 UTC 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 23:37, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I agree with Aaron here. I have FC1,2,3. and 5 running on an old Gateway
> > 500. P3 Katmai processor, with 256MB RAM. All these distros work ok on
> > this machine, but reducing the RAM to 128MB is pushing it a bit.
> >
> > I know that FC2 is no longer supported, but have had no problems
> > installing it. It may be worth giving it a try. All updates are
> > available, including those from Fedora Legacy, up until the time that
> > Fedora Legacy has reached it's own end of life.
>
> I use FC2 on a Celeron 2.7GHz with 256MB RAM. It's slow when I run
> Thunderbird and Mozilla browser at the same time, and thrashes disc
> a lot.
>
> > I've always been happy with FC2, and even though it's no longer
> > supported, continue to use it every day on one of my 2 machines.
>
> [snip]
>
> I am, also. One thing to watch for: FC2 had a propensity to clobber the
> MBR partition descriptions. I had quite a bad time with that, trying to
> get it to run with XP, because the PT was inconsistent with the PSPs
> on the BRs of the partitions.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike. Thanks for reminding me of that. I presume you mean how FC2 messed
with the harddrive geometry when dualbooting with XP on some  machines. I
still have the fix for that somewhere on one of my drives. I didn't have the
problem. I've got FC1, and FC3 triple booting with XP on one drive with no
problems, and most recently, and having resized the drive with the original
XP on it with Gparted live cd, now have Kubuntu, and FC5 working with the
original XP with no problems. For some reason Kubuntu would not create a swap
partition, and had problems with FC5 creating a swap. Anyway with 1GB RAM on
the machine, and Kubuntu at the moment showing 851MB free, I'm not too
bothered about swap on that drive.

Nigel.