/tmp running out of space

Boris Glawe public at boris-glawe.de
Sun Jan 7 19:38:43 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson schrieb:
> /tmp is filling up rapidly.  I'm guessing that it would be safe enough to
> delete everything dated previous to the last bootup.  Am I right?
>
> Anne

It should actually be easier to go to runlevel 1 and remove everything
in /tmp. It's very unlikely that there are any processes left that need
/tmp in runlevel 1.

You should investigate, why you /tmp in filling up rapidly. Maybe this
command helps to find the file/directory, that consumes most of the disk
space:

du -sm * | sort -n

du -sm .??* | sort -n (for all hidden files and directories)

greets Boris