How to display CLI output on another machine

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 21:04:02 UTC 2007

linuxmaillists at charter.net wrote:
>> Apologies for my ignorance but I'm not having much
>> success here.
>>
>> X is running on both machines, which are both next to one
>> another. At the moment I have text on KDE's Konsole on
>> machine B. I need to be able to see this text on machine
>> A. I can ssh into machine B from machine A with no
>> problem. I can then type "konsole", but this just opens
>> an empty konsole. What I'm looking for is to display
>> what's on machine B's Konsole on machine A.
>>
>> Sorry that I'm not terribly clued up.
>>
>> Nigel.
>
> ssh -Y to B from A then fire up your KDE konsole and do your
> work then you will have the information on B on the screen
> on A and then paste it into your e-mail on A.

Yes, after the fact you have to work from the machine
that already has the text on the screen and can thus copy
it to the X clipboard.  You can ssh -Y from there to some other
machine, start the program where you need this text, and paste
it in.  However, I thought the object of this exercise was to
mail it somewhere.  With the appropriate setup, machine B should
be able to mail to the same place as machine A.

Anyway, in the future, just be aware that you can do all the
steps from any convenient X screen.  Just ssh -Y to the places
you want to run the commands and you'll be able to cut/paste
among the screens.

Another way you can do something similar is to install the vnc
module in the X server.  Then you can connect with any vnc client
and pick up everything currently on the screen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com