postfix: can't configure $myhost, $mydomain

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Jan 8 02:03:48 UTC 2007

I recently switched ISPs and the current one blocks outgoing traffic
on port 25. That is to say, all outgoing traffic on that port must be
routed through their SMTP server.

(I am not happy about it, but I have to live with it for the time being.)

By default, postfix under Fedora supplies
"username at localhost.localdomain" as sender. Unfortunately, the ISP's
SMTP server rejects messages sent this way; it wants a FQDN.

So, I modify these parameters in /etc/postfix/main.cf:

  myhostname = ariel.lim.nl
  mydomain = lim.nl
  myorigin = $mydomain

Then run # postfix reload

But system mail still get sent out as coming from
"colin at localhost.localdomain" and get rejected.

What is going wrong here? I have not enabled any of the
masquerade_domains stuff.

I'm running FC6/postfix-2.3.3-2

Thanks.

--