I might be ready to give up...

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jan 8 02:06:21 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 13:43 -0500, Hal Levy wrote:
>> Since I had done nothing of interest with my FC6 install- I have
>> decided to start again, as my tinkering seems to have made things
>> worse.
>>
>> I have a fresh install runing right now.
>>
>> I would like to know how to boot to comand line, however. I'd like to
>> run the YUM update without X the first time.

I usually just hit any key to get into the grub menu and then press the
a key for the append mode. Pressing a will show the kernel parameters
line where you can backspace out rhgb quiet and then press a spacebar
and then the letter 1 for single user mode. Runlevel 1 does not have the
network started so you need to start the network with 'service network
start'
I'm not sure if the firewall is started in runlevel 1 so probably
putting in a 3 instead of a 1 would be safer. I'll have to check that on
my next drop to single user mode.
For runlevel 3, your network should be started and also the firewall.
You shouldn't have to start anything out of the ordinary.

As you said though, running yum from within the GUI is chancy for the
first run through and deadly with yum upgrades from one release to the next.

You probably already upgraded the system so other methods were probably
already used.

Jim
--
Turn right here. No! NO! The OTHER right!