I might be ready to give up...

Hal Levy hal.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 02:38:47 UTC 2007

On 1/7/07, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's the fun part. If you're going to install FC6 that kernel problem
> was part of the install process, noted as a bug and got hashed over
> quite a bit on this list in the beginning. So it was awhile ago, but not
> in distant past. Just delete using rpm -e --nodeps kernel kernel-headers
> kernel-devel. Then yum -y install kernel* which should work. If I got
> this wrong, someone correct me please. I think the kernel was the one
> installed i686 and the headers i586, killing them both off and
> re-installing was the answer I think.  Ric

Ric- this seems to be exactly what happened- when I ran the grep as
instructed in the bug note for the i686 it turned out I had one i686
file and the others were all still the i586 files... It was a mess-  I
reinstalled using the instructions to force a i686 install.

The install completed and I did the first login (with the help of X)
and once I was in X I dropped to the terminal and ran :rpm - qa
--queryformat ".... etc

This is where it gets strange- or I think it does.. check out what I am getting:

kernel is i686
kernel-devel is i686
kernel-headers is i386

Seems to me Kernel-headers being a i386 while the others are at i686
might be a problem. So, before I go any further- is this OK or do I
need to do something else before runing the yum updates?