Installation Isuues - Screen Resolution Distorted on Virtual PC 2004 SP1

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 8 12:57:35 UTC 2007

Paul Lockwood wrote:
> Hello
>
> I finially got my DVD iso through a torrent, only to have this
> corrupt. So after downloading the CD iso images from a mirror site
> things started to get installed.
>
> When I first started the install with the GUI installer the screen
> suddenly went to wide screen and totally unreadable. After doing some
> searching I've found that this is due to the S3 card being used by
> Virtual PC does not support 24 bit colours which Linux automatically
> uses.
>
> I've left the virtual machine still installing this morning as I left
> for work using the command line method. So I do not know what state
> this will be in when I get home.
>
> Does anyone know how to get over this 24 bit color issue, especially
> from the install GUI side.
>
> Please ntoe I am totally new to Linux but do work in the IT Industry
> so I may not know all of the technical Linux stuff you may quote.
My suggestion - since this is a fedora linux list ;):
http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html
- get vmware-server-1.0.1
- install it
- get some free serial numbers (non-expiring!)

And have your vm guests (win or linux including fc6) just install and work!

When you are a little bit familiar, reformat your win pc with fc6 and go
get the linux vmware-server. You just move the vm's you made (somewhere
else temporarily) onto your linux disk, and they still just work.

DaveT.