How to display CLI output on another machine

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Mon Jan 8 14:35:19 UTC 2007

Today Aaron Konstam did spake thusly:

> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 22:39 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
>>
>> I can see what you mean, and that process works ok, but what I'm
>> looking for
>> is a way to view whats already on machine B's Konsole from machine A.
>>
>> The example was. I'm working on machine B. With the Konsole I run
>> apt-get
>> update, then apt-get dist-upgrade. The upgrade runs to completion, and
>> I'm
>> left with a lot of text on Konsole. I have a query regarding the
>> update, but
>> my email client is on the other machine. If I close Konsole I lose the
>> text,
>> unless I save it as a .txt file. What I'm looking to do is keep
>> machine B's
>> Konsole open, and be able to access it from machine A, and in this way
>> can
>> paste the text from machine B's Konsole, which is now viewable on
>> machine A,
>> onto machine A's Kmail composer.
>>
>> Perhaps I'm asking too much.
>>
>> Nigel.
> As several people have pointed out if you ssh from A to B and then run
> you run apt-get the output in the window on B is clearly seen on A.
> The only problem is that if the output is more that can fit on the
> terminal window from B it is hard to copy the stuff stuck unseen in the
> buffer. It can be done but it is tedious. The simplest thing is to have
> the output captured in a file and then sftp the file from B to A.

Or either run screen first in the konsole, then you can detatch and
reattach the screen when you ssh in from the other computer. Or allow
remote desktop sharing in kde so you can connect to the remote computer
using VNC..?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003