How to display CLI output on another machine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 8 19:02:33 UTC 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 21:36, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 08:13pm on Sunday, January 07, 2007 (UK time), Nigel Henry scrawled:
> > X is running on both machines, which are both next to one another. At the
> > moment I have text on KDE's Konsole on machine B. I need to be able to
> > see this text on machine A. I can ssh into machine B from machine A with
> > no problem. I can then type "konsole", but this just opens an empty
> > konsole. What I'm looking for is to display what's on machine B's Konsole
> > on machine A.
>
> Nigel, I think you are saying that you already have a konsole running on
> machine B, displaying on machine B's screen.  And that you want to see
> the output that is on this konsole on machine A's screen.
>
> If this is correct, I don't think you can do it.  You can run a machine
> B's console on machine A's screen using ssh, as others have explained,
> but if a konsole is already launched on machine B and displayed on B's
> screen, you can't "capture" this console and also display it on machine
> A's screen. (as far as I know :-)
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve. Your assumptions are correct. The only way I have found from the
various suggestions on this thread is to use VNC, so as to get machines B's
Konsole showing on machine A, then it's easy apart from the 100% CPU useage
when running VNC.

The alternative, also quite straightforward is to use Konsoles "Save history
as" option, then ssh into B from A, then retrieve the saved file using Gedit
for example.

This thread has been a real bundle of fun.

Nigel.