fc6 dvd read performance degrades with mkisofs joliet option

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Mon Jan 8 22:22:15 UTC 2007

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Skunk Worx wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use FC6 to master DVDs and have noticed if I add the -J option to
>> the mkisofs command the read performance on the final dvd is severely
>> degraded.
>>
>> For example mastering a DVD image with RockRidge and ISO9660 alone
>> yields about 200 mb./minute read performance on my media.
>
> What does the DVD contain? How many files:
>
> cd /thedvd
> find . -type f | wc

I added the "-l" option to wc :

test 1 : 153163 files (1.2 gb. data)
test 2 : 10     files (3.2 gb. data)

I wanted to use a mix of media and file counts for testing.

The read performance is consistently good on my home machines (mac
mini/OSX tiger) and my FC6 boxes.

I tested four blades at work yesterday (all same vendor/model) and they
all drop to 30%, sometimes 20%, read performance with Joliet enabled.

Will start digging into the f/w updates for the blade mobos and dvd
readers tomorrow. It gets a little weird because we are testing a known
buggy 3rd party kernel driver and pci card in them.

I don't want to talk the the vendor until I eliminate those from the
equation.

---
John