Secondlife goes opensource

Chris Mohler cr33dog at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 03:02:59 UTC 2007

Hi list,

Guess some of you may have heard that the SecondLife client has been
released opensource.  While it's not 100% FOSS at the moment, it seems
like they're headed in that direction.

There are several links on the home page:
http://secondlife.com/

There are intructions for compiling here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Linux%29

Has anyone gotten this going on FC6?  I was finally able to complete
the build, but I'm having some texture issues and wanted to compare
notes.

In case anyone wants to give it try, I've pasted some of my experiences below.

Chris

Extra packages that need to be installed (not comprehensive):
compat-gcc-34-c++
cairo-devel

Extra Steps:
Edit the indra/SContruct file:
  Around line 208, replace "gcc_bin = 'g++-3.4'" with "gcc_bin = 'g++34'"

Gotchas:
Running the client "in-tree" did not work for me. I had to edit the
manifest file and add 'BUILD=releasefordownload'  as outlined here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Linux%29

Also check out:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Common_compilation_problems