memory problem

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jan 10 20:56:33 UTC 2007

Tom Spec wrote:
> Try this for top 15 memory using processes (in % terms), all on one line...
>
> ps aux | head -n 1 | cut -c 1-100; ps aux | sort -n -r -k 4 | grep -v
> COMMAND | head -n 15

I think the "problem" is just that the free RAM is accounted for as
being disc cache.  Try

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        30120 kB
MemFree:          2664 kB
Buffers:          1332 kB
Cached:           6804 kB

On this box with 32MB of RAM for example, although it only reports 2.6MB
free, in fact 6.8MB is in use as disc cache and can be called upon as if
it was free: really 9.4MB is "free".  I think Waleed might find a
similar situation on his server, in which case that currently unused
memory is already "optimized" and there is no memory crunch.

-Andy