vlc and mplayer will not play studio-issue DVD on FC6

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 20:18:59 UTC 2007

Everyone:

Am now wrapping up an FC6 install, and have a problem: Livna's vlc
(VideoLAN Client) program will not play a studio-recorded DVD. It /will/
play any disk that I have recorded, in standard-play mode, using my own
(duly licensed) software.

FC4 (my last version) handled this task without a problem.

What has happened to vlc? Or could this be a kernel issue, waiting for
the next version of the kernel to resolve it?

Or is it an SELinux issue? I already had to allow "unconfined
executables" to make their /stack/ executable in order for vlc to load
at all.

Mplayer has the same issue: it will play my home-burnt DVD's but will
not play a studio-issue DVD.

I tried vlc because, as usual, totem /will not/ play any of my DVD's. It
keeps saying that I haven't installed the required plugins--and
naturally I don't know where to acquire those.

What am I missing? Where do I go to get plugins for totem, or whatever I
need for vlc and mplayer?

Temlakos