Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Alan alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 23:32:38 UTC 2007

> Thanks James, before I emailed the list I checked cpuinfo, the
> information is not as clear as I had hoped. My guess is I am running
> close to the absolute usable minimum hardware set up which is older than
> he one in question and the issues involved are more than a generic P3
> FC6 issue below is the information from my cpuinfo file. I suspect that

VIA @733 MHz is quite usable for most things. Processor speed is about P3
400-500 (lower for heavy FPU better for integer). I actually have a few
of them mostly running as my routers/firewalls and they've paid for
themselves in electricity bill reductions.

The big thing you want is *RAM*. 256MB ought to be enough to run OK,
512MB is better. Alternatively shoot the heavyweight gnome desktop stuff
and install the Xfce packages which will run well on such a box, and
sylpheed or sylpheed-claws instead of evolution for email.

Alan