FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Jan 11 23:46:01 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 23:33, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >  using "poweroff" just stalls at "Power down".
> >
> > The last 7 entries from the shutdown messages are.
> >
> > Unmounting file systems:                             OK
> > Halting system...
> > md: stopping all md devices.
> > md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
> > Shutdown: hdb
> > Shutdown: hda
> > Power down.
> >
> > This is probably no surprise as the acpid isn't running.
> >
> > Shutdown with the 2.6.15 kernel runs to completion, but the stuff scrolls
> > past so fast, and no log is kept of it, so can't say what it says. It
> > certainly mentions "ACPI", but what else I'm not sure of.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Have you tried adding acpi=on as one of the kernel parameters? I ask
> since you mentioned acpid is not running but is running for the earlier
> kernel.
>
> I used to add that line in for my laptop because of the option changing
> from default on to default off from time to time. That was during Severn
> though.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim. No-Go on that. Dmesg shows ACPI as disabled. Services shows ACPI on
the list, but the status panel empty. it's like any kernel later than 2.6.15
is totally ignoring anything to do with ACPI, and am more and more convinced
that this problem has started since some update on FC5.

I've just looked back on /var/log/messages, but they don't go back far enough
to prove the point. they only go back to Dec 10th, and there I was
experimenting with various kernel options to try and fix this problem. I
would have needed to go back 2 months earlier to see messages where kernels
later than 2.6.15 were shutting down correctly using acpid.  It's ironic that
when you want to view the logs, they have already been rotated, and the ones
you want have disappeared into the ether.

Of course the alternative is to trash one of my 2 FC3 installs that are on
this machine (as I'm short of harddrive space), replace it with FC5, and do
the updates a few at a time, and find out which update (and I'm sure it's an
update) has caused this problem.

I've already tried this stunt on the other machine. It has 2 instances of FC5
on it. One with just Fedora kernels, the other with Planetccrma kernels.
Neither had the updates which seem to have caused this problem, so using the
FC5 with just the Fedora kernels, I ran the updates, doing them a few at a
time, shutting down and rebooting from time to time, but on completion of all
the updates the machine still shuts down ok, whichever kernel I'm using.
Admittadly the hardware is different, and I think this problem is a mixture
of specific hardware+updates not working well together.

Thanks Jim for your suggestion.

Nigel.