Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 10:43:41 UTC 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 22:54, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Just Do it wrote:
> > For me.... the only preferable option to change OS not my old PC (any way
> > I have to do the hardware upgradation...but not now).....
> > If Xubuntu could run so smoothly....why not fedora...there should be
> > something....I have to figure out....???
> > When Window XP work well in my PC...why not FC 6??? I want to change from
> > Window XP to Linux....lets hope what happen??
>
> There is no reason at all why FC-6 should not run perfectly well
> on your machine, once you get it installed.
>
> I see no evidence at all that your problem has anything to do with
> shortage of RAM.
>
> I had much the same problem on one machine with plenty of RAM.
> My solution was to install an absolutely minimal distribution -
> opting for "Custom install" and choosing no packages.
> Then when that worked I used "yum groupinstall" to install what I wanted.
>
> In my view your problem either lies in your CDs,
> in your CD reader, or (most likely) in Anaconda,
> which is not the best of installers, IMHO.

I wouldn't rule out the CD reader.  I have FC6 on an 5-year-old laptop,
700MHz, with 256 MB RAM - its maximum supported.  The reader is supposed to
be CD/DVD, but it doesn't read home-burned ones.  I had similar problems when
I tried to install rawhide.  I think there are some real problems with older
CD.DVD readers.

I'd go along with the suggestion of doing a minimal install, then adding
packages later.  That cured my rawhide install problems.  It doesn't really
add to the time, as the packages you would have originally installed will
almost all have to be updated at the first yum update call.

Anne